Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What are some different ways to style long hair on a guy?

I have long (8 inches past shoulders), brown, thick, wavy hair that was slightly layered over a year ago. I like having my hair long (though it might be too long now), but I don't like having it down too often because it gets in the way. Normally, it sits in a pony tail or bun.



I'd like to try something new. The problem I have is that since long hair is more of a female characteristic, a lot of the styles are hard to transition over to guys. I have been trying a few styles, but since I didn't grow up with long hair, I haven't had the years of experience and mentoring that it seems women get.



Can anyone offer some suggestions for new ways to style my hair? Are there any traditionally women's styles that I might be able to adapt for my hair? Are there any sort of hair accessories that I should have other than the normal hair rubber-band-thingies?



I'm willing to give anything a try at least once. The style that will turn out to look the best is probably the weirdest one. =)What are some different ways to style long hair on a guy?
With hair of that length, you should try braiding it. The simplest is a three strand plait from the nape. A bit more elaborate, probably needing your gf's help to start with, would be a French Braid (lots of thin strands could make it almost invisible) lifted away from your nape. That would form a pocket where your tail could be coiled and tucked out of sight. Of course you could coil your braid into a chignon, but that might look too elaborate for your comfort level initially.



Then there's the Colonial look. Draw your hair straight back, clean and not too tight, catching and folding it at your nape into a ';club'; caught with a simple ribbon. High toned gentlemen used a ';bag,'; a simple cloth folded and tied to catch their hair at the nape. I would forego the powder, however, unless you were invited to a dress up shindig. Even then, I would favor ';au natural'; with two or three rows of horizontal curls at the ears.



Whatever style(s) you settle on, keep at it with no embarrassment and people will soon identify your 'do as simply being part of ';you.';What are some different ways to style long hair on a guy?
dread locks look good i bet...not to female....and u can tie a band to your hair to keep it back
I saw a ';do'; on a guy yesterday on the show ';What not to wear.'; He had it back in a ponytail, and all poofed up, like a horse's tail--but really curly. He was black, so maybe it just naturally did this...it was smoothly pulled back on his head. Looked like he'd fussed with it, though...it was quite styled.
Mullet...Mullet...Mullet..!

Hey it is good enough for Chuck Norris

Good luck.
please don't get that trendy scene cut

I think long hair is sexy, just keep it how it is, how many guys do you see with really long hair? it's original.

if nothing else, maybe try straightening it.



edit- I agree, dreads are cool but only some people can pull them off.
http://mog.com/pictures/wikipedia/672087



http://www.hairstyles53.com/wp-content/u HOTTTT i really dont know id have to see it
get dreadslocks like woppie goldberg has
cut it! that is (i think) way too long for a guy. you can cut to a little above ur shoulders and it will still be sort of long and will look good.
Get you hair cut! long hair on guys is weird.. just get it cut into a shag or somthing
chop it off.
dreadies!!!



lol



my boyfriend has dreadies and they look awesome on him. it may not suit you tho, so you can actually get temporary dreadies where they do the same techniques but they dont use chemicals so it doesnt stay that way, and it looks a little bit cleaner and funky.



lol



i know you said you'd give anything a try once- let me know if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment